Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I Am Officially on The DL...

Well it happens to all athletes...I have been sidelined with an injury. I have a hernia. I actually have been playing through my injury since I was born (unbeknownst to myself and Mommy and Daddy until earlier this summer) but it was painless so not a big deal. Well today was my day to have it corrected. I had to get up WAY early and drive myself to the hospital.


(My legal team would like me to inform you that Daddy did the actual driving while I was safely strapped into an approved child safety seat but a baby can dream, right?)

I got up so early that I didn't even have to take off my pajamas! Soon we arrived and it was time to check in. 


Daddy and I played in the waiting room while Mommy filled out some paperwork.


When we got back to the room they made me put on a dress...A DRESS!! It didn't even close in the back, my diaper stuck out! How embarrassing!

And this is what I thought about that....

Soon I found a flashing, bubbling light show in the hallway...I was hooked!







They had more toys in the hallway...I could get used to this place, they have toys everywhere!



Finally it was time to get down to business.  Mommy and Daddy put on their special dressed (hehe Daddy had to wear one too, but he got to keep his clothes on..no fair!) They also had to wear funny hats that I liked to rip off their head and giggle. Mommy carried me back into a cold room with lots of people. The nurse told Mommy to hold me in a "special hug" so that I couldn't move. There was nothing special about this hug and I didn't like it all. They put a masked over my face that smelled like strawberries..I cried, Mommy cried...and then I went to sleep (I actually don't remember any of this so from here out Mommy will take over the story telling). 

The whole procedure only took about 20 minutes and the doctor said I did great! They wrapped me up in a nice, warm blanket and let Mommy and Daddy come back while I woke up. I was sleeping very peacefully after surgery....


Then about 15 minutes later all heck broke loose! I woke up and in a second I threw off my blankets and tried to get up. I had no idea what was going on, why my legs were numb, and why my nose itched. (If I were older I would know that I had a type of epidural for the surgery and the narcotics they gave me made my nose itch.) I was not happy at all and I spent the next 25 minutes letting everyone in recovery know how upset I truly was. The nurses explained to Mommy and Daddy that I wasn't really awake yet. Blankie came to recovery with me but I was so upset that I didn't even want him! Daddy walked around and sang to me and I eventually calmed down. Mommy and Daddy talked to the nurses for a little bit and then it was time to go home! I was still unhappy walking to the car but once I got strapped in and Mommy gave me some juice I calmed down. I had two cups of juice and then fell fast asleep in the car.

 (Way to go with your finger Mom)


Mom just loves these sleeping pictures!

When I got home I WAS HUNGRY! I ate a ton of graham crackers and ran all around the house. Mommy and Daddy chased me around because my legs were still a little numb so I kept falling over. I thought it was funny, Mommy did not. I had some medicine and a bottle and it was time for more sleep. I will keep you posted on my recovery but am very glad to have this experience behind me (so is Mommy!)

Love, Jacob the baby who is now hernia free!


No comments:

Post a Comment